Monday, July 19, 2010

Google and YouTube and Facebook, oh my!

As the possesser of a fairly common name, the result of a Google search is not so much finding my own online presence as it is discovering a bit about the people who share my name. While it might be cool (in a grrrrl-power way) to share a name with the only female pro boxing announcer, the fact that she has several racy photos posted gives me pause. I am not thrilled when I consider that my future students (and their parents) will be greeted with these images if they decide to use Google to learn a bit more about the new math / language arts teacher. My best hope is that, over time, Amy Hayes (the graphic designer), Amy Hayes (the photographer), Amy Hayes (the broker), Amy Hayes (the real estate professional) and I can overtake Ms. Boxing in Google rankings.

As far as online presence that actually reflects me, there is nothing on my online profiles that would reflect poorly on my character. Now and in the future, however, I will be far more vigilant about my privacy settings, which groups I join, and how closely I monitor pictures. Perhaps because of my previous career, I have always been pretty careful about what kind of personal information I share. My professional rules are: never say anything about someone that you would not say to that person; never send an email that you would not want forwarded; and be choosy about what personal details you reveal. I can translate those rules directly into my professional life as an educator.

Teachers, as role models, brain-shapers, and public employees (for the most part), are expected to adhere to slightly higher standards than average citizens. Like politicians and bureaucrats, teachers are expected to act with their "constituents" in mind - and, like politicians and bureaucrats, teachers are blamed when citizens are unhappy with the status quo. As role models, a significant lapse in a teacher's personal life can be damaging to the students they should be inspiring. While teachers are not often compared to Tiger Woods, it is worth considering that the reason Woods' behavior caused a huge scandal is because he was a role model. Woods is not accused of anything illegal; he is "merely" unfaithful. If Tiger Woods was the investment banker next door, who would care about his mistresses? Only his nosy neighbors; the rest of the world would be bored. So, fellow future teachers, be prepared for some scrutiny, because we are going to experience the downside of a political career without being elected, and we are going to held to the Role Model standard for conduct and judgement whether we like it or not.

In "Have You Googled Your Teacher Lately?", the authors cite several instances where it is clear that the teachers involved did not understand that they were de facto role models. To be fair, however, a few stories seem to occupy a grey area and require more context than the article provides. For example, it would be good to know how long (the YouTube nude painter guy) Stephen Murmer's video had been posted: was it a years-old video or was it found within a short time of the original posting? How was it found? Did he point students to it, did a parent find it, or did a student stumble upon it? It seems to me that the circumstances around that case are important. I must admit that my first thought was, "Hey, buttock-painter-guy, if you want to saturate your bits in acrylic and smoosh yourself against some canvas, go to town. But you want to post the video of the creation process on YouTube? And keep your teaching license? I'm not sure I would recommend that course of action. It seems to me that if your artistic vision consists of using your nude body as a paintbrush, maybe you should consider not videotaping the event and posting it for the world to see. If the video (as opposed to the canvas you molested) is actually the artwork you are creating, perhaps you could consider digitizing your face, wearing a mask or otherwise obscuring your identity? Is it a video you would be proud to show your mother or grandmother? If so, then you've got a pretty laid back family. You might already be aware of this, but just in case: not all moms and grandmas want to see your manly manhood in all its technicolor glory. They do not appreciate your artistic vision, and - right or wrong - they do not think you are a good influence on their children and grandchildren. Bottom line (pun intended): if this is your best judgement, I am not impressed." But upon further reflection, I feel Mr. Murmer should have his day in court. As long as I don't have to watch the video.

I hope to enjoy a long and interesting career in education. Most of the effort I will expend on my career will be on putting forth my best effort every day in the classroom; building relationships with students, parents and colleagues; and continuing to learn and grow as a professional educator. I will put some effort into considering how actions in my private life may influence my ability to be effective as a teacher, but I will mostly strive to keep my personal life private.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I don't know if you'll even read this but I guess my comment before didn't go through, so here it is again!

    Glad to see that all other Amy Hayes aren't too sketchy of characters! Your commentary on the "my rear end is a paint brush" guy made me laugh, so thank you for that! I definitely agree with you on your comments about him. Although I can hear people screaming "freedom of artistic expression! in such cases, I can't help but disagree with them, believing that part of being a responsible and unselfish member of socity is being respectful of others' view and preferences, which sometimes means sacrificing your own for the sake of not offending. You may have rights as a human being, if you don't want to consider others while exercising them, go live as a hermit in the woods!

    ReplyDelete